VidBlaster  
Go Back   VidBlaster > VidBlaster - Trial > Support

Old 01 May 2012, 01:39

Default What hardware setup works?

Like many I am impressed with the demo version of VB. My concern is that I get the hardware configuration right the first time. I have been approved funds to buy a Tri-caster Studio and could go that route without question. However, I like the idea of an open configurable system like VB, on my hardware. Problem is I cannot get a direct idea of what hardware configuration will work best for my needs.

What I need to be able to accomplish:

1.) Stream live video to Amazon thru Wowza so that fans can watch the sporting events in multiple formats.

2.) I would like to have multiple cameras, as many as 6 - 8 feeding into VB for switching as well as some remote mics for crowd noise and on field interviews.

3.) I would like to be able to do instant reply, display custom scoreboards and graphics as needed.

4.) I would also like to record each event live so as to have it for on demand viewing.

5.) Any recommendation on an inexpensive way to communicate with my camera and audio folks would be great as well.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

For the record I have read the forum for days and I'm just looking for some real world examples to replicate.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04 May 2012, 17:45

Hi Steve,

I'm new here and nobody has taken the task of answering your Q yet.

I have a few ideas, maybe this will help.

1.) Wowza can stream to various players as long as it points to the server and stream name

2.) As long as the cameras are listed on the computer, VB can have a camera module assigned to it. The mics will need to be switched separately. I would suggest a wireless setup by RevoLabs or Sure. (I build portable wireless mixing rigs)

3.) You can select a section of your screen as a camera also.

4.) Use the recorder module for playback from Wowza later.

5.) Texting works well.

Good luck with your project. Always difficult thinking outside the box.
Old 05 May 2012, 02:33
Super Moderator, MVP, Reseller

@ Steve: Quite a list of needs, but very doable.

First, more questions... what resolution will you need? what frame rate? what kind of band width do you have available? (Can't stream HD on a 3G wireless card). How portable do you need to be?

The answer to these questions will determine how much PC you'll need.

I am assuming you have a pretty stout budget since you were looking at Tricaster.

SinclairSportsNetwork.com

Live Show Wednesdays at 3 ET/8 UK

ThatVidBlasterGuy.com
Old 05 May 2012, 15:34

Thanks for the replies...

Tom, Resolution and Frame Rate are things I have not determined yet. I will want to push the best quality I can to my stream that I can do with high reliability. The bandwidth should not be an issue as I will have a wired access point to the campus network. Portability will be somewhat needed due to multiple venues on campus (Football Field, Gymnasium and Baseball Field).

Currently I have 4 very nice standard def cameras. I would consider trading or selling these to get HD cameras that aren't over the top expensive, any recommendation here would be great.

My biggest concern is getting the hardware right, I have read many post on this forum that concern me about possible problems. I am really confused about the correct choice in capture cards to do 6-8 inputs.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05 May 2012, 17:18

Take a look at this thread about how to set up an inexpensive intercom system. I have used this very effectively.

ThatVidBlasterGuy.com
Old 05 May 2012, 17:36

If you don't need to spend your entire budget all at once... start with the basics and build.

Let's assume to start you use would stream at standard definition (640 x 480 4:3 or 864x480 16:9)(but not HD, yet) at 30 fps. That's a nice video image on a PC and a very decent (but not great) image on a big screen TV (42"-55"). Let's also assume that you start with a 4-cam set up and use your current cams (for now).

With that premise you would want your PC to have these or similar specs: an Intel i7 Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU, motherboard, 16GB RAM, Osprey 460e 4-port SD capture card, Windows 7-64 o/s, SSD 250GB or bigger, HDD 1TB. You can add a video card if you want. Not necessary depending on your MB.

You would also need a audio mixer. I like the USB type as there are easier to configure I think. You would also need headphone/mics, cables, monitors, keyboard/mouse (wireless is nice) and a variety of connectors and adapters (Radio Shack is my best last-minute source, eBay is better if I have lead time).

I just finished building a prototype streaming PC with most of the above specs and will bring it to market for about $4k including VidBlaster PRO Edition. Its slightly bigger than a shoe box. Even has a carry handle.

When you want to upgrade more cams, you can add a second 460e. When you want to upgrade to HD, you sell your 460e cards on eBay and go with any number of 4-port HD cards; sell your cams on eBay and upgrade to HD cams.

I think the real key is... one step at a time. Don't try to build the most perfect killer system that will solve all your problems and do everything you want forever. Start slow and add.

Just my opinion.

ThatVidBlasterGuy.com