VidBlaster  
Go Back   VidBlaster > VidBlaster - Licensed > Hardware

Old 06 May 2009, 09:49

Default driver problems with easycap

Hello,

I bought three Easycap's and I'm trying now for a week to get them working. I run Window XP. When I install the driver, without the easycap plugged in my laptop, and then plug them in, the device and the installed driver are not matched. I get the 'found new hardware' screen. When I install the drivers with this screen or the device manager everything works. The problem is that when i want to install the next one, the problems start. When I plug in the second, I get a new 'found new hardware screen'. When I install the driver with this it works in Vidblaster. I can also pull every easycap in and out, no problem. However, when I reboot the pc, I can start all over again because the drivers
(exept the one I installed as last) seems forgotten by windows.
I tried all this with drivers of Forwardvideo, the original CD and ones espessially for windows XP SP3.

I hope anyone knows where to find the solution?

Rieks
Old 06 May 2009, 10:36
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default Re: driver problems with easycap

Sounds like maybe there's a bug in the driver so that it can't coexist with itself. I've only tested it with one EasyCap at a time (and under Vista). Anyone using more than one? If so, what's your OS and EasyCap driver manufacturer and version?

Rieks, as this is clearly not related to VidBlaster, you should also ask the manufacturer of the driver and/or interface.
Old 06 May 2009, 16:47
Reseller

Rieks,

I have seen this problem before with multiple EasyCap devices and XP Pro. I would first make sure you are using the latest drivers for your hardware, the included CD may be out of date. Also, from my what I have seen not all EasyCap hardware are created equal - what might work for some devices will not for others.

I am still researching to determine why multiple instances of EasyCap and the corresponding driver doesn't save properly with XP. If you go to the control panel, and select system, hardware, then device manager, you can view the installed drivers for your EasyCap hardware. They probably have an iteration such as STK1160(2) and so on per attached device. You will probably see this as well in the Camera Modules driver drop down in VB.

I typically create a folder where the latest drivers are located which expedites the process after rebooting. XP will prompt the "new hardware found" dialog and it takes just a few moments to go through the procedure again.

I am not sure if you have experienced this problem but with some EasyCap devices the driver defaults to PAL and refuses to "see" NTSC. A workaround to this issue is to use HandyAvi. Using the program you can select the appropriate driver, then select NTSC or PAL. After that the driver seems to "remember" the setting and work just fine.

I agree with Mike, I think the problem seems to be with the drivers. I am using STK1160 btw.

Old 06 May 2009, 17:18

Thanks Mike and Scott, I'll contact Forwardvideo and hope they can do something. This model is however succeeded by a new (hardware) one wich is also suitable for Vista so I'll keep my expactations tempered.

I am using STK1160 too. But the information of Forwardvideo is a bit crappy too: they say 1150 is the new driver for XP and 1160 is Vista and these are different drivers. However in device control it's always 1160 here.

Since I live in the Netherlands I always use PAL, so I didn't met a problem switching to ntsc.

Maybe (when it might not improve) I just switch to Home Video Creator, this worked perfect up to three units on my laptop and is - as I see it now - the recommended hardware for lowcost multi-camera use on XP.
Old 07 May 2009, 08:37
Administrator

I tested Rieks' setup on a system running XP SP3 using 2 EasyCap interfaces (model STK1150) and get the same problem: one works fine, multiple require repeated installation. I've updated the documentation on the forum and in the Help accordingly. As the USB2821 has proven over and over again to work fine when using multiple interfaces, I've found some more models who use this chip and added them as well.
Old 07 May 2009, 15:32
Licensed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Sounds like maybe there's a bug in the driver so that it can't coexist with itself. I've only tested it with one EasyCap at a time (and under Vista). Anyone using more than one? If so, what's your OS and EasyCap driver manufacturer and version?

Rieks, as this is clearly not related to VidBlaster, you should also ask the manufacturer of the driver and/or interface.
Hi all, I understand that this doesn't seem to be a VidBlaster issue unless someone can state that 2 or more EasyCap devices can be connected and used at the same time (using different software). I bought a single EasyCap device after reading about them on this forum. When I was able to connect one of our camcorders with it, I assumed that I could get 2 more connected at the same time (for another camcorder and a dvd player). I'm currently unable to connect more than 1 EasyCap device. If its of any use to anyone, I ran into a similar problem with 2 FireWire camcorders a while back. Perhaps this will help solve our EasyCap problem:

When I connected 2 similar FireWire camcorders, I experienced the same problem: it was the same driver but different instance and some software won't allow you to use more than one instance if the device name (in the pick list) is the same. My Adobe Flash Media Encoder 2.5 would list the same Canon camera driver name twice (one for an HG10 and one for an HG20). One would work and the other would simply be blank. I had to go to the Device Manager (xp pro sp2) and get the properties of one of the connected firewire devices. I noted the Device instance ID and searched the registry. I changed the DisplayName and FriendlyName keys for one of the camcorders.
When I rebooted the PC, the renamed driver showed up in the Device Manager and I was then able to select both cameras in VidBlaster.

I hope someone can use what I've found and find a solution for EasyCap. I do need to have this working though. I want to connect 2 camcorders and a DVD player using 3 easycap devices.
- 640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
- XPSP3
- Osprey-450e
- MobilePre USB mixer / Behringer MX1604A with XLR mikes
- Sony SR-80 & SR-47 HDD camcorders + occasionally a Polycom VSX 7000s PTZ videocam
Old 24 May 2009, 04:15
Super Moderator, MVP, Reseller

Alain,

I am successfully running two EasyCaps on a Vista 32-bit system. The sequence that works for me is to have all hardware including video cameras hooked up and turned on before I turn on my computer. The XP EasyCap may be slightly different.

The XP EasyCap would not work on my Vista pc.

Good luck!

Tom
PirateSoccerTV

SinclairSportsNetwork.com

Live Show Wednesdays at 3 ET/8 UK

ThatVidBlasterGuy.com
Old 24 May 2009, 08:32
Administrator

What driver are you using?
Old 24 May 2009, 11:48
Licensed User

Hi Tom,
I'm using the 'XP' version (I guess) since I'm using XP pro 32-bit. I've never had a single issue when running one EasyCap (with the included driver on CD or other downloaded versions). As I've been researching this quite a bit, it seems as though there are several knock-offs of this product. Anyway, mine is the one found here: http://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-USB-Vi...3164876&sr=8-1. I use the drivers that came with the CD. They are the STK1160. The actual exe is stk1150 but the Imaging Device that is displayed in Device Manager is Syntek STK1160. I've downloaded and tried several versions of the stk1150-60 drivers but none would resolve the multi-Easycap issue.

So, to get your 2 EasyCaps to work, do you have the driver pre-installed (as per normal installation instructions)? or when the devices are recognized, do you point them to a driver install location and install the driver twice? I'll try connecting my camcorders like you said tomorrow.

By the way, if I do connect 2 Easycap, I get to install the driver twice and get Syntek STK1160 and Syntek STK1160 #2 in the Device Manager. I can use either camera connected to the two EasyCaps so long as the other one isn't active (i.e. if I want to use Syntek #2, I have to make sure that Syntek #1 isn't one of the camera devices in VidBlaster; and vice-versa).

Thanks,
Alain
- 640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
- XPSP3
- Osprey-450e
- MobilePre USB mixer / Behringer MX1604A with XLR mikes
- Sony SR-80 & SR-47 HDD camcorders + occasionally a Polycom VSX 7000s PTZ videocam
Old 24 May 2009, 16:41
Reseller

You can download drivers for various USB 2.0 video capture devices at: http://www.vidblasterus.com/accessories.htm

In addition, several USB 2.0 devices are described along with links on the Internet. Although I have not tried it myself, I have read very good reviews regarding the VC-211V USB 2.0 device. It's detailed on the page as well.