VidBlaster  
Go Back   VidBlaster > VidBlaster - Trial > Support

Old 05 Nov 2012, 02:28
Licensed User

Default Best HD camera to use with VidBlaster just for live to tape recording

I've been doing a ton of research and trials and i keep coming back to VidBlaster as being one of the best. The only issue is I have a difficult time getting video from my DSLR to show in vidblaster, all the other it comes up almost right away. I'veresearched and/or tested
Vmix
cutFour
VidBlaster
ATEM TV Studio (Now the have a built in audio misxer)

I'll choose between Vidblaster and the ATEM

But I wanted to know I want to vido multicam (3 Cams) and don't want downgraded quality using HDMI out of cameras. I want to record what I film and want it clsoe to the same quality from the camera. What is a good HD camera between $500 & $1000 or les that can do this. I may stream live but it's secondary... Thank you.
Old 05 Nov 2012, 10:28
MVP, Reseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Dortch View Post
... I want to video multicam (3 Cams) and don't want downgraded quality using HDMI out of cameras. I want to record what I film and want it close to the same quality from the camera.
Actually, what you get out the HDMI socket is potentially better quality than what is recorded internally, since it isn't compressed by whatever codec is used by the camera to record to memory-card/tape/hard-disk (usually AVCHD at ~15-25Mb/s). Using an external recorder like an Atomos Ninja, BM Hyperdeck Shuttle, etc, with a better quality, higher bitrate codec (like ProRes or DNxHD) can give the highest quality recording of whatever picture quality the camera is capable of.

That said, on a $500-1000 camera there probably won't be that much difference since the camera front-end is the limiting factor, but in theory external recorders usually offer better quality capture than most cameras can provide internally.

Computer Video System Integration & Consultancy - VidBlaster Reseller in the UK
Old 05 Nov 2012, 14:57
Licensed User

Ok, thank you. With that said though I still needed some camera choices. I don't want to use the canon 7d and t3i, the 7d still has grey bars on the video even though i used magic lantern to clear the overlay. the T3i is clean, but i;'m thinking a camcorder HD is better because i can zoom. Not to mention the canon 7d over heats very easy.

I'll check out the external recorders, but and good low light options you know of. I ws looking at the Panasonic GH2, which is DSLR, but they say it clean HDMI out and records for over and hour or more without auto shut down like the canon. and i was looking at the Panasonic HDC-HS700K
Old 05 Nov 2012, 15:09
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike

Did you read this wiki article?
Old 05 Nov 2012, 15:31
Licensed User

Send a message via Skype™ to jak

When I asked a Swedish photo shop the recomended the Panasonic HC-X900, since it has a 3MOS setup for good color if used for Chroma Key, and clean HDMI out.

I have not tried it though.
Old 05 Nov 2012, 17:45
Licensed User

I did see that Mike - Good info, Jan, so the Panasonic HC-X900 I'll check it out. any others i can compare, If I can get 3 for around 5 or 6oo each since i need 3 would e great. I know, I know, champagne taste on a beer budget lol... Used or refurbished is fine as long as it works great.
Old 08 Nov 2012, 03:11
Licensed User

I've picked up 2 canon HF S200 models from ebay. Both were open box in store demos and work superb. 1 was $415 and the other was $510. They have manual focus, and clean HDMI out but only output 1080 60i, no 720p. If you can find an easy to source camera in that price range with manual focus and 720p clean HDMI out, please tell me, 720p would be much better for my work flow.
Win7 Pro 64b, Intel i7 3770k, P8Z77-VLX MB, 8Gb Ram
Capture via hdmi into 3 x BMI pro 1080 60i
Alternate Laptop Setup:
VB 2.24 home desktop
Win7 Pro 64b, Lenovo W520 laptop, I7 2760qm 8 Gb Ram
2 GB video ram, Capture via Matrox MX 02 LE w/max HDSDI 720P, Streaming to WEBex
Old 08 Nov 2012, 05:38
Super Moderator, MVP, Reseller

The HF S200s will also do component and composite out. I would assume the composite out is less than 1080, maybe 480??

SinclairSportsNetwork.com

Live Show Wednesdays at 3 ET/8 UK

ThatVidBlasterGuy.com
Old 08 Nov 2012, 17:06
Licensed User

I withheld the composite out info as the title of the thread is "Best HD camera....." but Tom is right, the camera does also have composite and component out. The composite is sd ntsc interlaced, and the component still only provides 1080 60i output. I have seen a few lowend JVC consumer cameras that offer 480p out on the HDMI in addition to the 1080 60i, but that doesn't really achieve the HD progressive goal. And those cameras don't have manual focus external controls, so lets just pretend they don't exist
Win7 Pro 64b, Intel i7 3770k, P8Z77-VLX MB, 8Gb Ram
Capture via hdmi into 3 x BMI pro 1080 60i
Alternate Laptop Setup:
VB 2.24 home desktop
Win7 Pro 64b, Lenovo W520 laptop, I7 2760qm 8 Gb Ram
2 GB video ram, Capture via Matrox MX 02 LE w/max HDSDI 720P, Streaming to WEBex