VidBlaster  
Go Back   VidBlaster > VidBlaster - Licensed > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05 Aug 2013, 18:32
Licensed User

Default audio no longer works in 3.14

upgraded from 2.27 to 3.14 Broadcast version.

audio now no longer works in Player module. Normally I send the Player audio out to a mixer, and back into my audio inputs on my capture card.

this no longer works, so I am rolling back to 2.27 for the time being.

using Win 7 btw

[Does not qualify as bug report, moved to General Discussion - MV]
Old 05 Aug 2013, 19:22
Reseller

Kelly,
The way Players, Recorders, and Streamers handle audio is quite different in v3. You need to specify in the Player to which output device you want to send audio, and in the Recorder/Streamer which audio device, and its input, to use.

Pls check with the help in VidBlaster (3.14), unfortunately the wiki is not up to date on these matters. But I am sure you will get the hang of the new scheme.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 19:59
Licensed User

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you clarify what you mean by an output device?

Right now I have audio input using a mixer, and I only need it to stream out on the web in the live video stream. It does not need to loop through the computer speakers or anything else so the terminology is quite confusing.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 20:15
Reseller

Did you check out the help section?
In 2.27 audio is automatically sent from the Player to Windows default "output device" (usually ending in your "line out" connector).
In 3.14 you have to right click in the Player and choose which "output device" you want to send the audio to (that one which ends in your "line out" connector. If you have only one standard sound card in your PC, you wil only have one output device to choose from

Similar thing for the Recorder and Streamer, but concerning inputs instead of outputs.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 21:06
Licensed User

Thanks for the update.

And that causes a huge problem for me - I can't USE the computer output for my livestream - I need the line out to send music to a channel on my audio mixer so that I can play pre-show music.

I need the livestream to use the audio on my capture card the way it always has up to now.

The interface had my capture card that pre-selected in VB 3.14 (since it was a direct upgrade), and all I got was silence.
When I rolled back to 2.27, the audio worked perfectly through my capture card as always.

Am I misunderstanding something?
Old 05 Aug 2013, 22:20
Licensed User

Kelly, are you using a player to run the pre-show music as well or do you run that using a program separate to VB?
Old 05 Aug 2013, 22:30
MVP, Reseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gatarski View Post
...unfortunately the wiki is not up to date on these matters.
I would beg to differ - but then I would since I recently updated it .

In the section which refers to the Module, there's a big picture showing the selection of the Audio Device, and then in the next section (Operation) it says:

If the Player module is being used to play files that include audio, start by selecting an output Audio Device which will generate the audio output signal. This setting is accessed by right-clicking in the module and selecting Audio Device from the menu.

Note -
  • Audio from the Player is not automatically connected to VidBlaster's output modules like the Streamer or Recorder. See the Audio Overview article for more details on using audio with VidBlaster.
Nothing fundamental has changed in V3 compared to v2 with regard to Player audio, except that you have to explicity select the Audio output device. If everything worked OK in v2 (but doesn't in v3), make a note of what device was being used for Player audio output in v2 and use the same setting in v3. If you use an external mixer, this will be the audio device which feeds out from the PC into the mixer.

Computer Video System Integration & Consultancy - VidBlaster Reseller in the UK
Old 05 Aug 2013, 22:35
MVP, Reseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Rinne View Post
The interface had my capture card that pre-selected in VB 3.14 (since it was a direct upgrade), and all I got was silence.
When I rolled back to 2.27, the audio worked perfectly through my capture card as always.

Am I misunderstanding something?
Going from v2.x to v3.x is not a "direct upgrade", at least in the sense that it's not a direct replacement, because some parts have been completely re-written..

I think other people like Tom Sinclair have mentioned this, but when you change from v2 to v3 you may need to completely rebuild your VidBlaster profile(s) because some modules work in a different way and require different types of settings, so it's not as simple as just opening a previous profile - unless you're lucky and it just happens to work.

Computer Video System Integration & Consultancy - VidBlaster Reseller in the UK
Old 06 Aug 2013, 00:23
Licensed User

Hi Martin -

I understand that the previous profile may no longer work.

What it sounds like Richard is saying is that the previous audio INPUTS no longer function the same way.

Usually I could choose the VB audio input based on my capture card, which has video+audio inputs. The the card would stream the audio and video OUT.

Now it sounds like I have to choose my PC computer OUTPUT in order to INPUT audio to my capture card? The audio module Help does not make this clear, and Richards explanation is also confusing.

What I normally do is feed all my various audio sources INTO a mixer, which then has 1 OUTPUT of balanced or unbalanced audio that connects INTO my audio on the capture card. (XLR or RCA, depending on which broadcast truck I am in)

In VB I would choose the audio capture card as my source and then stream out.

This solution no longer works after the upgrade.

PS - Andrew, I use an iTunes playlist to run pre-show music.
Old 06 Aug 2013, 02:46
Licensed User

OK. Now how do you get the audio (iTunes feed) into the mixer? From your sound card or a USB interface?
Closed Thread